Sunday, May 25, 2008
We survived!
This weekend we decided to go camping with some friends. We originally planned on going for both Friday and Saturday nights, and returning for church on Sunday. We thought this would be great being that we were camping at Lake Shawnee which is 20 minutes from our house. Well, Kansas in the Spring can be very unpredictable as far as weather goes, and as our camping trip grew closer so did the forcast for thunderstorms. Since Friday night was only a 10 % chance of storms until 3 am (it then went up to 30 %) we thought we'd be ok. Saturday looked worse so we decided that we'd only stay one night. Well, the evening was great. The kids swam in the lake, we made dutch over pizzas, and of course had smores and dutch over cobbler for dessert. The weather seemed good too, until 3 am. We took our weather radio with us "just in case" and it was good we had it. As the thunder rolled in, we watched the warning lights go from yellow to red. The rain was hitting the tent hard, but the radio said the storm would only last until 4 am. Well, it then really hit at about 4:05 am, with rain hitting so hard it was pushing the wall in with each wave. We could also feel mist as the drops splattered through the wall of the tent. Of course kids can't sleep while camping, and they really can't sleep when there's a thunderstorm so Emily and Taylor quickly joined us on our air mattress. As I got up to help them get onto our air mattress, I noticed the puddles on the floor. Taylor's sleeping bag was already soaked through as well. It was pretty much raining inside the tent. Luckily Parker and Ashley were so exhausted that they slept through it and were just soaked in the morning. What a mess! I felt bugged that our tent leaked, but in the morning I discovered that the other four families were also waterlogged. There were even diapers floating in one tent. Anyway, we survived and the kids had fun getting muddy in the morning. Taylor's words were, "I guess we can't stay two nights now." It was funny.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
That rain storm sounded so scary, I was in a bad rain storm once in our tent trailer, but the rain did not make the sides indent with every wave!! Glad you were all okay, if being wet and cold is okay!!
I am so excited for your family to come to Lava, Marilyn and I have already bought a lot of fun things for the kids, now Max is going to buy more. It should be really a lot of fun.
What great memories! Now your kids will remember that trip for a long time! We just got back from camping, too. No rain this time, but we've had our share of completely soaked tents and children.
The more I think about it, the more I laugh. I wish I could have known we would be fine through the night, and just laugh then. We had a great time....we should definately try it again sometime, preferably without a storm! What a memory!
4 kids and a baby in a rainsoaked tent camping... Kim you must be "Mother of the Year". It will be a really fun memory, now that it's over.
Post a Comment