Thursday, September 4, 2008

Medicine - bad or good

This week has been a bit rough as far as health goes. It started with Ashley getting sick Sunday morning with fever/stomach ache/head ache (sure sign of strep for Ashley). Of course Monday was a holiday so no doctors were available, and even though Ashley acted like she had strep and had been exposed to it, the doctor wouldn't just give me medicine. Luckily our friend is a pediatrician, and he was willing to do a strep test and give her medicine. She was able to go to school on Tuesday - yeah! Well, Monday night Emily started running a fever also, so of course Tuesday brought with it a trip to the doctor. They did a strep culture, and she too had strep. I knew it was only a matter of time before Parker got sick, but I never realized how short of time it would be. As we were walking out of the doctor's office Parker started crying about hurting. By the time we got home he was running a temp of 101. Luckily, the doctor didn't make me bring him in for a culture too. They said once two kids in a family have strep, they will treat the others if they get sick. Amoxicillin is a wonderful thing, at least for Ashley and Emily. They got better right a way and were able to go to school. (much to Emily's chagrin) Parker, however, got worse - crying constantly that his mouth hurt. He also started getting red dots and blisters in his mouth. At first I thought, "we can't have hand-foot-mouth disease too", but then I realized that it might be the medicine. As I re-read the bottle of the medicine given to Parker, I realized that the doctor called in the amoxicillin even though he is allergic to it. Poor kid. We have stopped the Amox, and have given him an antihistimine. He'll hopefully get a new antibiotic tomorrow. I had wondered if he really was allergic to amoxicillin, but apparently he is. Good to know.

7 comments:

Alan and Lynette said...

That's TERRIBLE!!! So sorry to hear about that! Let us know if we can do anything to help...from a distance...run errands or whatever!!:)

Anna said...

Wow. Now you really deserve something. I'd say a night out at a hotel by yourself. :) Poor kids, that sounds just awful.

Suz said...

So sorry to hear about the sick kids- it's got to be so hard when one gets sick and you know it's just a matter of time before the others are too. Hopefully everyone will be well and healthy again soon!

Julie Moore said...

NO FUN! Hunter and I experienced the "school-time" bugs again, too. First Hunter was sick-then Mariah. Fortunately, I've been able to contain it for now--but like you say...you never know which child will end up with it next!! We're lookin' good for now, though--SO-If you need any extra help--just give me call! AGH! Sickness is always a bummer :-(.

Wendy said...

No fun. Ah, good old strep being passed around already--and it's only September! Hope Parker feels better.

Mom B said...

STREP IS HORRIBLE. I have had it twice as an adult and it's bad. Kids seem to rebound so much faster however. Didn't know Parker was allergic to amoxicillin. Now you and Jeff need to stay well! (And you DO deserve a day off!)

Kath said...

I predict it will be a long winter:( To many kids are getting this early this year.