Sunday, March 1, 2009
One of those moms!
So the other day I turned into one of "those moms" that I swore I'd never be when I was a teenage babysitter. Back then, I was always grossed out by runny noses and dirty hands in kids' mouths. I thought I would never have a kid with a runny nose. (I learned quickly how crazy that wish was). Well, the other day when we were outside playing, Carter climbed up on our porch and started eating the cat food. Did I freak out and rush to save him? No, I just kind of laughed and asked him if it was good. He didn't actually swallow any if any on you are still in the "good mom" stage. I did stop and ponder at how far I'd come on the mommy spectrum. My first child rarely got too dirty, and I hated if he got anything in his mouth but food, and now number five eats cat food and rocks (he tried one of those at the park later that same day) and it doen't even bother me. I still haven't decided if this is a good thing or bad. I'm leaning towards good. My oldest is a little high strung when it comes to changes in his schedule, going to new places, etc. and as a baby he had a very regular schedule. He also doesn't like to eat new things. Carter on the other hand, has to adjust his sleep schedule to the lives of four siblings, and eats whatever is given to him (or that he can get his hands on). He's learning early to be easy-going. So, I'm hoping my learning to relax a little is really a good thing in the end. Anyway, it is funny how we change according to what we learn, and for the need to survive. If I still worried about every little runny nose or dirty hand in my house I'd go crazy. I still try my best to keep my kids clean, but I don't beat myself up about it when things aren't perfect.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
That is great. You know, a few weeks ago I was talking to Carl and Max about that very thing. They were remembering times when their children fussed over everything and were overly protective and comparing them to how they are now. It was funny to listen to.
I think it is just fine to let your kids get dirty and discover some things for themselves. Plus you get some great pictures.
That is great. I know I have changed a heck of a lot over the last 9 years as a mommy. I worry a lot less now about what people think of me as a mom, because I know these kids come with their own free spirits!
Great insight! My baby has been way healthier than my other three kids, and I think it's because he's exposed to so many germs from my other kids, and I also let him taste dirt and rocks, so his immunities are built up. I think there's something to it!
I hear ya! I'm only on number 2 and I feel that I've become much more relaxed about things. Which I guess can be a good thing. Thanks for your insight, now I don't feel quite so bad! :)
It sounds like you are doing "hands on" learning which is another way of saying "learning by experience". That is often the most effective way to learn, but many times the most difficult. Learning to be a Mom doesn't stop when your children grow up. It changes a little, but you are still involved with their lives. I enjoy being a grandmother because I can watch the children grow and change and give stress to their parents, but I don't have to directly deal with it. I just love them and their parents more than anything in the world.
Love, Grandma Koller
Post a Comment