Friday, May 14, 2010

It's in the water?!

So these last couple of weeks have been pretty rough as I've been dealing with a lot of stomach flu fun. As the last kids got it, I felt relieved only to have Ashley come down with it again, but worse. She wouldn't eat or drink hardly anything, and I kept forcing her to drink water even when she complained that her stomach hurt. Well, when Parker woke up with a croupy cough yesterday I was very mad. (not at him)I started sanitizing everything again, and using Lysol wipes on anything a kid would touch. I had lost confidence in my ability to keep my kids healthy. Well, last night an announcement came out saying that the water in our area is contaminated and is causing people to have the stomach flu symptoms. This is why half of our ward and half of the kids at school have been sick as well. Part of me was relieved to know that I'm not just a lousy housecleaner, the other part panicked because we had to throw out all of our water storage before moving here. Luckily, Jeff got the last eight gallons of distilled water at Walmart last night, and I was able to get some water bottles this morning so we at least have something. The irony of the whole thing is when we moved to Topeka, we couldn't use water because the water treatment plant had been struck by lightening. We decided it was important to have water after that, and we stored some for eight years. Now when we actually need it again, we don't have it. Oh well, I still believe we are blessed for trying, and we will get on it a little faster now. (once we can drink our water again that is). At least the stomach stuff should start to go away now, the new cold stuff is a different thing.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

I heard about the water thing today. So crazy. Please let me know if there is anything we can do to help. Hope everyone is feeling better soon at your house!

red said...

Not fun. We resorted to using a brita filter for everything (even cooking water) when we were in D.C. because the water was so contaminated. Hopefully you guys will all get better soon. Pedialyte makes popsicles now :) Good luck Kim. I swear you have more fun than all the other Moms.

Mom B said...

I sure hop the water is safe soon! What a pain this has been for you! You will really appreciate it when all of your kids are healthy again!

Suz said...

That is awful!!! I am sure you are glad to know the reason behind it all. Hopefully they can get the water situation under control soon.

P.S.
Cayden is getting bored at home because all his friends have left for the summer, we'll have to come up and see you guys one of these days! (And maybe bring some water with us!)

Jennie Blaser said...

Crazy about the water! So sorry about the flu. We've had it here as well. I had it yesterday and it was awful. Between me and my kids I think we've thrown up about 25 times! It's awful. It is no fun to try and keep up with the cleaning. Hope everyone is feeling better soon.