Saturday, May 8, 2010
Can ye feel so now?
Motherhood is wonderful. Housewifehood can sometimes be the pits. I fell into one of these pits this week while dealing with kids with the stomach flu. Of all illnesses that my kids pick up, that is the hardest on me physically because there is so much additional cleaning that has to be done. Washing the bedding of the sick kids, sanitizing the bathrooms over and over, cleaning up the floors. Not fun. Other illnesses cause me more concern, while the stomach flu is just annoying. Anyway, while facing the moutains of laundry, the growing piles of dishes, the toothpaste smeared bathrooms, and the ever increasing obstacle course of toys on the floor I felt I was being pulled into the gulf of misery and endless woe. Knowing I was losing it and needed more strength than my own, I turned to the scriptures for a minute. I happen to be reading in Alma 5, where Alma has given up the position of chief judge so he can personally go preach unto his people. He reminds them of the blessings their fathers received, and the joy they have felt as well. One of my favorite parts is when he asks, "if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?" At that moment I had forgotten the joy, and I realized that I needed to do better on seeking to feel this joy. I think that pride is not the only thing that can drag us away from what is truly important, but the trials of everyday life can also distract us from the way of happiness. Anyway, I'm grateful to Alma for the little kick in the pants. As I've tried to do better on keeping focused on the important things, I've found that the daily drudgery of laundry, dishes, and dirt don't seem so bad. In addition, as those things are no longer such a huge distraction, I am finding more joy in the most important part of being at home - my kids. Anyway, life is all about learning, and I hope this is a point I can remember because life is for having joy, not just doing laundry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
So sorry your kids have had the flu! That is no fun, and the laundry really does quadruple. I think you are allowed to feel a little overwhelmed when that happens. Thanks for the good reminder and you are a great example of being a good mom. Motherhood really is a blessing and a privilege, I just didn't realize how much laundry-dishes-and cleaning up after little people it involved!
Sorry for your rough week. I was reading in Alma as well and having a rough week and read the part about when their burdens are lightened by the Lord, when they are in bondage. I like the part that says they were able to deal with the burdens that were placed on them. I thought it was super fitting for Motherhood :) thanks for sharing. I'm glad you feel happier. You're amazing.
Thanks for helping us stay focused on the importance of motherhood! You are a wonderful Mom!
I'm glad you were able to find comfort during this whirlwind of sickness. I, too, was reading in Alma this past week but it was in Chp 26 and it also talked about joy. It was when Alma was expressing how full his joy was and Aaron was rebuking him but Alma says "I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things." It is nice to be reminded that we are here to find joy in all things.
Kim you are doing a great job!!!
Post a Comment