We are proud to say that Parker has officially given up his binky. He'd been living life with only having his binky at bedtime and live was good. We then cut the binkies in half which kind of bugged Parker, but he continued to use them even though we said, "They are broken now, you should throw them away." Well, we finally convinced him to give them to the binky fairy so he could get a toy, and he agreed. At first we were going to have the binky fairy come at night, but we decided that probably wouldn't fly. Then we just decided to have him take his binkies to the store to buy a toy with his binkies. This is what we did, but Parker kept the idea of a binky fairy in his mind and kept telling me he was going to be shy around the binky fairly. Well, Target was where we went, so I think Parker now thinks the binky fairy works there. He picked out his tools, and proudly gave his binkies to the questioning cashier. I tried to hint to her what we were doing, but she didn't get it. It turned out ok, because Parker didn't really catch that we were just buying a toy. Anyway, he is in love with his tool belt, and has done beautifully without a binky. I thought there would be big fits, but there hasn't. The only time he said anything was the first day when he was supposed to take a nap and the said, "I going be sad without my binky." He didn't take a nap that day, but went to bed great because he was so tired. It's nice to have that milestone crossed.
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Binky Be Gone!
We are proud to say that Parker has officially given up his binky. He'd been living life with only having his binky at bedtime and live was good. We then cut the binkies in half which kind of bugged Parker, but he continued to use them even though we said, "They are broken now, you should throw them away." Well, we finally convinced him to give them to the binky fairy so he could get a toy, and he agreed. At first we were going to have the binky fairy come at night, but we decided that probably wouldn't fly. Then we just decided to have him take his binkies to the store to buy a toy with his binkies. This is what we did, but Parker kept the idea of a binky fairy in his mind and kept telling me he was going to be shy around the binky fairly. Well, Target was where we went, so I think Parker now thinks the binky fairy works there. He picked out his tools, and proudly gave his binkies to the questioning cashier. I tried to hint to her what we were doing, but she didn't get it. It turned out ok, because Parker didn't really catch that we were just buying a toy. Anyway, he is in love with his tool belt, and has done beautifully without a binky. I thought there would be big fits, but there hasn't. The only time he said anything was the first day when he was supposed to take a nap and the said, "I going be sad without my binky." He didn't take a nap that day, but went to bed great because he was so tired. It's nice to have that milestone crossed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
What a great idea--glad it worked. Benjamin sucks his two fingers--I'm sure some day I'll have to bribe him to stop, but unfortunately, I won't be able to cut off his two fingers!
I am laughing at the Target cashier taking the binkies, not really understanding why. So funny!
Yay Parker! I bet that's a relief to finally have the binky gone. :) If only we could stop Maddy from the thumb-sucking habit...
It's good to see you in the blogging world! It's been fun catching up and reading all of your kids' cute quotes!! :)
Congrats on your new tool belt Parker! That is awesome. And I bet in a few weeks, you won't even think about the binkies. You guys are getting so big. I miss you tons.
karolee
So fun to see your family. Jessica is going at her thumb right now while smelling little purple.
wow-good for Parker! What an exciting day!
Way to go Parker! And Mom, what a great idea to make the trade like that! He looks so cute with his tool belt and all. I need ideas for his birthday - I'll call you!
Way to go! Doesn't it feel like you have to ween (sp?) the child off ten different things before they reach age 4?!! Breastfeeding, Binkies, bottles, fav. blanket, potty training, etc. I always feel so FREE when a child reaches five years old and starts dressing him/herself. Parenting pats on the back!! It was fun to be in nursery with you on Sunday. I think the world of you :-). Jules
That is a fun idea. I would have loved to see the face of the cashier - I can just picture it.
Good job Parker!
Post a Comment