Tuesday, November 3, 2009

New York Girl's Getaway!

So on September 17th, I got to go on a wonderful weekend getaway courtesy of my wonderful mother-in-law (I prefer 2nd mom). She generously took her daughter and daughters-in-law to New York City for four days so we could play, and play we did. New York is truly the city that doesn't sleep. I was amazed to find myself walking around Times Square at midnight without even a hint of the activity slowing down. Our hotel was a couple blocks from Times Square, so when we got there we started exploring and found a fun place to eat. Before going into the restaurant we had been awestruck by the busy nature of the New York streets, but when we left the restaurant the street had lit up and the excitement had increased - something I did not think was possible. We were like kids in a candy shop going from store to store just to look at their displays. We especially enjoyed Toys R Us, the M&M store, and the Hershey store. I kept thinking of how my kids would love to see the stores, but how I'd have an anxiety attack trying to keep track of them on the busy streets. Anyway, we had a wonderful time going to the top of the Empire State Building, visiting Ground Zero, taking a harbor tour that circled the Statue of Liberty at night, seeing Lion King (amazing), walking through Central Park, taking a bus tour around the city, seeing the LDS temple in the middle of the craziness(very neat), and of course shopping both in stores and at street fairs. My sister-in-laws are quite the bargainers. All-in-all it was a great trip that went way too fast. I am grateful to great friends and a wonderful husband who were willing to take care of my little ones while I got a break.



2 comments:

Cindy said...

What a great idea! That's great you all got to get away together and have some girl time in a fun place! Dave and I are both night owls, sounds like we'd fit in great there :)

Wendy said...

What a GREAT trip!