Wednesday, January 13, 2010
The Life of a Single Parent
I didn't want writing this to look like I am complaining about having to be a single mom right now. I wanted to write this to say "hang in there" to all of the single parents. I don't know any single parents who would be reading this, but if you know any, make sure to boost them up now and then. It hasn't been too bad with Jeff gone, but it is a lot busier for me. Eating dinner (or any meal)doesn't really happen because I'm usually trying to help someone with something at the table. It's amazing what just one more set of hands actually does when feeding kids. Getting homework done is also a bit more challenging because the little ones want attention when I'm trying to help the older ones. I miss having Jeff there to entertain those not needing help. Getting places is also more challenging because I can't just leave the kids home when I take Taylor to scouts or basketball. The poor kids have to be more flexible than before, and go to bed later. Luckily they are doing a pretty good job. I think the hardest thing so far, however, was having to deal with Taylor when he threw up all over his bed two nights ago. In the past I would always be the one comforting the child while Jeff cleaned up the mess. (Thank you honey) This time I got to do both at 2:30 am. Not fun. Anyway, I have gained an appreciation for people who do have to go it alone with their kids. I couldn't do it without the help I have around me now. So if you know anyone who is in this situation make sure to lend a helping hand. I definitely will in the future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Kim,
Its amazing isn't it, I know right now we just have Aaden but even having one, I feel the burden lifted off of me having Richard there with me everyday. My mom was a single parent with 5 kids, she is amazing, she never missed a step with any of us and I always remember her making it to everything, I never realized the sacrifrices and the hardships she had to face being a single parent now that I have one of my own. Thanks for sharing! I am sure you are doing wonderful, let me know if I can help at all!
Thanks for the heartfelt thoughts on single parenthood. I need to remember not to feel sorry for myself when I am alone - at least I only have to take care of ME!
(P.S. Are you excited for this weekend :) :) ??
I've always admired the single parents that seem to get it all done. I can't imagine! Dave just works long hours, so it seems like he is never around, but I know better. There is a reason the family proclamation calls for both parents!!!
I was just thinking about you the other day back there by yourself wondering how it was going. My husband doesn't get home most nights until after bed time (lucky if he's home by 10) which makes for long usually stressful nights for me...but at least he comes home eventually. I don't know how single women/military wives etc. do it all the time all alone.
Post a Comment