Friday, July 3, 2009

Camping with our ward family




A couple weeks ago our ward decided to have a camp out at a local reservoir. Jeff was in Puerto Rico that week and was not going to be home until late Friday night, so that meant I'd have to take the kids camping on my own. I went back and forth as to whether to go or not, but because it was our only opportunity to camp this summer and the kids really wanted to go, we went. It turned out great! We have such a great ward. I knew that I wouldn't be truly doing it on my own. We shared a campsite with our friends the Christensens which made it a lot easier. Traci is a trooper, and actually knew how to put my tent up since I didn't know. I guess I rely on Jeff for a lot. :) Anyway, we had dutch oven pizzas at our own campsite, and then joined the ward for smores. The kids just ran around playing with friends. The morning wasn't bad either because the ward provided breakfast plus Jeff joined me to help take down camp and go swimming for the second time. The only challenge was getting the kids to bed (and to sleep) all night in the hot, humid tent. There is a reason our ward were the only tent campers in the whole place. Camping in June here is just too hot. Anyway, the funny thing that happened that night is my friend Traci ended up having to do the overnight part on her own as well because her husband had to drive back to their home to be there for their 6 calves to be delivered. I felt like we were two pioneer women roughing it with our ten kids. (I guess the trek was still on my mind since we'd both been camping in tarp tents the week before.) Anyway, was a fun experience in the end.

7 comments:

Cindy said...

Wow Kim, you are a trooper! Glad it went so well and that you have such nice friends and ward members.

grandma blair said...

I am so impressed. 5 kids all by yourself, what an amazing gal you are.

Suz said...

Wow I am impressed that you went by yourself- you are super woman!! I don't even think I would camp if Rand was with me! I bet the kids loved it.

Suz said...

Kim, You would make an amazing pioneer woman! Taking 5 kids camping would be more than a leap of faith for me! But I'm glad you all had fun! Can't wait to see you all!

Mom B said...

Sorry, that last comment was me - MOM BLAIR. I'm at Rand's place still!

Grandma Koller said...

Kim the Courageous,
Camping with 5 young kids; thats the Kim I know. You have always been a good sport to try new things and succeed at them. It was fun to see the photos. Carter has grown so much! Love,ya! Mom K

Michelle Johnston said...

yeah for dutch oven pizzas! We havent gone camping yet this summer. Hope to when it cools off a little though. You girls are amazing:) Wish I could have been there to help! HOpe to see you soon.