Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Easter Egg Swim

Yes, I know it is way past Easter, but I still wanted to post these pictures. My kids tried a new kind of egg hunt this year - one in a pool. A near-by town was offering a family fun afternoon which included swimming, an egg-hunt, pizza, and games. At first I wasn't so sure I wanted to do it since Jeff was not available to go with us, but then the kids talked me into it by promising to be really good and not whine when I told them it was time to go. They did pretty good. We got there right at 3 pm when the fun started so we could hopefully swim before it got too crowded. We actually had a great time, and virtually had the pool to ourselves for the first 30 minutes or so. As the hunt time approached, the pool got more crowded, but it never became unmanageable. The kids did the egg-hunt which was ok, but they were disappointed with the three egg limit. I was glad we went early to swim instead of depending on the hunt to be our main sourse of excitement. After the egg hunt, we got out to have pizza and games. The pizza was great, the games were only fair. Who runs a game booth for kids and only gives the kids who actually make it in the basket, or hit a balloon with a dart a prize of a tootsie roll. Whenever we have done games things at church or school every kid who tries gets a tootsie roll, and those who actually win get a better prize. Needless to say, the kids were not happy with the games. They were also saddened by the fact that some of the kids who found empty eggs in the pool were able to trade them in for large baskets of toys, or big stuffed animals. There had been some empty eggs put into the little kids area, but they were all green. When the green eggs were traded in the child got a pencil. What three-year-old wants a pencil when the ten-year-old next to him is getting a big stuffed bunny. So yes, I was not exactly pleased with the whole egg hunt part of it. I like the good old fashioned hunt where everyone just gets eggs with candy and they go home happy. So, in the end, yes we were glad we went because the swimming was fun, but the kids learned a hard lesson about how life isn't fair.


4 comments:

Wendy said...

So, how was the actual move? And how is UTAH? Are you going through culture shock?!?!

Cindy said...

Glad you guys had fun. That is a really fun place to swim. We'll have to plan a swim night together soon. :)

Grandma Koller said...

I'm thinking about getting a license plate holder that says "My grandchildren are cuter than yours!". The kids really did have a good time at the pool and they told me all about it. You were courageous to take them all there by yourself.:) I'm glad it turned out to be so much fun. Love, Grandma Koller

Mom B said...

You ARE a brave woman to do all that alone! But the kids will always remember it, I'm sure! We sure enjoyed having you here for our Easter fun!