Thursday, April 8, 2010

There's no place like home

Just like Dorthy in the Wizard of Oz, Jeff and I felt it was time for us to head home to be near family while our children were still young. We wanted them to experience spending time with their grandparents more than just once or twice a year. Well, we got our wish and found ourselves being taken away from Kansas instead of toward it like Dorthy in the movie. Although we knew it was the right thing, moving from Kansas has been one of the most heart wrenching things I've even done. Kansas had become our true home, with the people there being like family. Jeff and I had never lived anywhere as long as we lived in Kansas, and we had really made some incredible friends. It was also very hard to see our kids cry over the loss of the great friends they'd made. Kansas was really all the kids knew. Anyway, I want all of those friends to know how much they meant and mean to us. You influenced our lives in so many wonderful ways. I'm grateful for all of the wonderful advice and examples many of you shared with me because I feel I am a better person and parent because of it. Thank you also for all of your help as we were moving. It was such a neat thing to watch as this small army of men came and delivered all of our stuff from our storage unit into our garage in a matter of minutes. The Elder's Quorum should start a business or something. It was also so nice to have meals brought in, and to have help with cleaning. We really appreciate it. Everyone took care of us so well. So thank you, thank you, thank you. Thanks for the wonderful going away party also. Although it was hard, it was nice to have the chance to say good-bye, and the invitation for anyone to come visit still stands. We love you all and miss you terribly. We do like our new area and the ward has welcomed us in, but I have to say the Kaw Valley ward is pretty special. We hope to bring some of that influence into our new ward here. So, though Jeff and I are returning to our childhood home, our children are leaving theirs. Home, however, is the place you are surrounded by people who love you, so that can be anywhere we've learned.




2 comments:

Kath said...

We sure miss you guys. Madalyn says hi to Ashley

Five Bloomin' Beauties said...

thanks for making me teary- eyed! :) Miss you!