Thursday, February 18, 2010
Surrounded by Angels!
I don't know if any of you remember the song by Kenny Rodgers (I think) that goes something like "there are angels among us." (I'm terrible with knowing song titles or artists) Anyway, I couldn't help thinking of this song over the last few days as our little family went through yet another hospitalization crisis with RSV/Pnuemonia. On Monday night, after having sent Jeff back to Utah, Carter started running a fever and breathing faster than normal. Having been through this type of thing with him before, I knew he needed arbuterol so I gave him my last vial which had been given to us by a good friend, hoping it would get him through the night. He woke later, around 3 am, with a higher fever and breathing even faster so I gave him Tylenol for the fever and started praying that the fever was what was causing the fast breathing. Over the last couple of months of being on my own with the kids, I have learned to rely more heavily on the Spirit and on the Lord when faced with challenges, and although I was worried, I felt Carter would be ok until he could see the doctor the next day. Anyway, I got him in to see the doctor and it turned out he had a double ear infection. He was still breathing fast, however, and even though the doctor couldn't hear any "crackling" in his lungs, he wanted to rule out pnuemonia as the cause of the rapid breathing, so we were sent to get a chest X-ray. This is when I started getting a bit stressed. See, we are now on Utah insurance which doesn't exactly cover Kansas. I'm considered "out-of-area" and even with contracted facilities, we still have to pay 40%. Do you know how much a chest x-ray costs? Well it's around $240. Well, it turned out that Carter did have pnuemonia in two sections of his lungs, and considering how he was breathing and his change in behavior, (he's normally very energetic even when sick, but not this time) the doctor thought it best to have him admitted into the hospital. What?! I thought to myself. Of course by now I was an emotional wreck trying to think of what I was going to do with Jeff gone, but as my frenzied mind thought through what to do I was comforted with the thought that there were so many people I could ask for help. People quickly and willingly took the kids for the night so I could stay with Carter in the hospital. My wonderful friend who took some of the kids, also arranged for Carter to get a blessing which was comforting. Then there were so many calls from people willing to help where they could and offering to bring dinner. I just kept thinking of how grateful I was to be surrounded by angel friends. Thank you to all who offered thoughts and prayers for us. I believe the blessing and the IV really helped Carter perk up quickly. He'd gotten pretty dehydrated, and just getting fluids into him seemed to help. He tested positive for RSV as well has an elevated white blood cell count, (meaning he had a bacterial infection) so they gave him an antibiotic and breathing treatments. Luckily, he was doing so well the next day that when I pushed to go home, they let us. Anyway, I just couldn't help thinking of how wonderful all of the ward members and friends are here. You are truly angels. I only hope I can find people like you when we move.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Graydon and I were just talking about how we are sick of kids being sick. Reading your post made me grateful for the smaller illnesses we are dealing with. Good luck with everything.
Sorry you had to deal with that by yourself and glad to hear Carter is feeling a little better. Hope he recovers quickly! That is so neat you had so many people ready to help!
So sorry you have had such a scary time, Glad that you had so many people to help you. I am so glad that he is feeling better. We will all be excited for you to be here and back together again as a whole family.
oh wow- what a stressful thing to have to go through with Jeff gone! I am so glad you had friends to call on for help and I am glad that cute little guy is doing better.
So glad everyone is okay. That must have been extra rough to deal with that without Jeff. Thank goodness for good friends.
I'm so sorry you're going through this on your own...but I'm so happy that you're not really alone. We have a nebulizer that we purchased and have used it countless times. It's pretty scary when they can't breathe. You're a good calm Mom. Good luck and you really need to get out here before any more of your kids get sick!!!
p.s. you're starting to sound like a Pioneer. Going through all those troubles on your own. I really hope you're not planning on walking from Kansas to Utah!!!
I'm so glad he is doing better. Sunday he seemed back to his darling self - chattering away at his daddy on Skype!
As I read your story about Carter and his sickness and the hospitalization, I want to tell you that there is one other "angel" there and that is yourself. You are an amazing mom and daughter. It was a stressful time for you and them, but you are such a capable person, I think you handled it well. I am so grateful that the kids are starting to recover. I know that you still have much ahead of you with your move, but I have faith that everything will turn out well. I love you.
Post a Comment