Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Baby B - Spencer Don Blair











Spencer was the second baby to come out, and he had a pretty rough journey into life. He was breech, but the doctor thought he could be pulled out after his brother who was in the correct position. Well he was pulled out, but it wasn't as easy as the doctor thought it would be. He kept trying to grab him, and he kept getting a hand and a foot instead of two feet. Finally the doctor had to push him back in and to the side so he could reach his other leg to bend it down and get the little guy out. He was so bruised after that ordeal that the doctors couldn't find a place to put an IV when he was being transported. They had to put it in his umbilical cord. His own arm was actually x-rayed because it looked so bad, but it had not been broken thankfully. Anyway, Spencer was born at 4:59 am on Oct 23, 2010. He weighed 4 pounds 1 ounce and was 17 inches long. When he came out there was no cry for a least 1-2 minutes. Both Jeff and I sat there with anticipated agony, hoping the little guy would do something. Finally we heard a small sound, after which he was whisked out of the room to the nursery. They first put oxygen on him, but his blood oxygen level was still too low, so they put in a respirator which seemed to help. They quickly decided they needed to life flight him to a NICU (he didn't actually fly - they just call it that). All this time, I was in another room trying to stop shaking. The mixture of an epidural, stress, and a fever was making me shiver uncontrollably. I had no idea how the babies were or what they looked like. About an hour after the birth, Jeff stepped in to tell me they were going to transfer one of the babies. Then at least another hour went by before I got news that the baby was going to be taken to Primary Children's hospital instead of Murray because he might need surgery. Little by little we learned of his esophogeal atresia that would have to be repaired immediately. I was glad I got to see him as they were taking him out of the hospital. He was taken up to Salt Lake and had surgery that afternoon. For a week after the surgery, he had to be kept still so he wouldn't rip out his stitches inside. To do this, they completely sedated him. It was hard seeing him that way, but I'm so grateful for the doctors and nurses who knew what they were doing. After a week, he was able to be taken off the ventilator and we were able to hold him. After another week he was given a feeding tube so he could have food by mouth. He has just started taking a bottle that past couple of days, so we are hopeful that it won't be too long before he will be home. There are still some things he has to accomplish before leaving the hospital, but he seems like a fighter, and is progressing well. We all love Spencer, and can't wait for him to come home.

10 comments:

Colette said...

Wow... what a crazy time for you guys. I'm so glad you posted an update but I'm so sorry you have to go through all of that. What sweet little twins you have!!

Tommy was about 6 weeks early - and we had some very stressful and trying moments during those first few weeks. He was on oxygen and monitors at home for about 4 months as he got stronger - to keep it light, our doctor teased that he was addicted to his oxygen bar. It was such hard time, but I'm glad now that it's a distant memory. Tommy is a TANK these days and is one of my healthiest kiddos. Thank goodness for modern medicine and technology - it is such a blessing in all of our lives. Much luck and many blessings - we love you guys and will keep you and your sweet babies in our prayers.

And Kim... don't forget to take care of yourself!! So glad you are in Utah where you have so much support! :)

PS - When Tommy finally graduated from oxygen, I had to get used to his little face without those cute little circle bandaids that hold the canula. :)

Anna said...

I love their dark hair!
Kim you and jeff are wonderful amazing people. We are praying for your little men. I can't imagine the ordeal you are going through, wish I was closer, I'd help!!! :)

Wendy said...

They are both beautiful babies. So glad you get to hold them both now! What a heartache to not be able to hold Spencer. You and Jeff are so awesome, Kim!

Melissa said...

I'm so glad that they are doing better. What an amazing time for you family. So hard too. I'll pray for you.

Five Bloomin' Beauties said...

Thanks so much for posting the pictures Kim! They definitely look like cute Blair boys! The girls commented on how they look like Carter or Parker. I am so glad things are going better now though I know there is still a bit of craziness ahead but you will make it through because you and Jeff are so awesome! Keep me posted on everything and call whenever you need to!

Mom B said...

This time I have had a chance to see how quickly things change with premature newborns. It was scary at times, but I LOVE how amazing all the doctors and nurses were that have cared for the boys. They are very sweet, darling little guys! Jeff and Kim have been so strong through it all - I almost forgot Kim had just delivered twins because the day she came home from the hospital, she went up to see Spencer and almost every day after that without much time to recover.

Max said...

We can relate somewhat. When Graydon was 18 months old, he was in the hospital for over a month after we almost lost him from a surgical complication.
We understand the overwhelming emotion of bringing such an one home.
Love and blessings to your guys.
Uncle Max

Karolyn said...

Conrats on 2 boys! I love their names. I've been praying like crazy for you guys-Traci keeps me updated on whats been going on. Hope all is going well!

Jennie Blaser said...

Okay, so I haven't even been on blogger for over a month. I'm happy to read about your twins. Not happy that it wasn't a smooth birth, but happy that they seemed to be pulling through. Please keep up posted and I hope you are all home and together for the holidays. My dear friend had twins a year ago at 27 weeks. They told her that IF they both survived, she's have health issues for life. they are now both one, and thriving (though still small for their age). Miracles happen everyday. Love you!

Grandma Koller said...

I know it is a little late to be making comments, but I am amazed that you remembered all of these details while you were so sleep deprived and time-stressed. You are an amazing person. I am so grateful that Spencer was able to get through all this trauma and finally come home.