On Oct 23rd our world was turned upside down. This was the day our twins decided to enter our family - six weeks early. They were born at 34 weeks 6 days, which is still early for twins. I'd gone in at 2 am the night before with contractions, at which time they gave me medicine to stop the babies from coming. Then at 2 am again the water broke along with a placental abruption, causing their birth to be inevitable. When they came Ethan, the first baby, was having trouble breathing, but was doing pretty good. Spencer, the second baby, however was not doing so well. They had to breath for him for the first two minutes, and then they put him on oxygen. The oxygen wasn't really helping enough, so they intibated him and arranged for him to be taken to a near-by NICU. When the transport team arrived, they discovered that Spencer had what's called a TEF or EA, which is where his espoghagus didn't reach his stomach. The team decided at that time to take him to Primary Children's hospital instead for a specail surgery. We are grateful that these special doctors discovered the problem pretty early, and that there is a wonderful children's hospital here that specializes in things like this. Spencer is still in the hospital recovering, but he seems to be doing well. The first week was rough because Ethan was in one hospital and Spencer was in another. Ethan is home now, and doing well even though he is still hooked to an oxygen machine. Here are a few pictures of their first few days of life.
Monday, November 15, 2010
Our new boys!
On Oct 23rd our world was turned upside down. This was the day our twins decided to enter our family - six weeks early. They were born at 34 weeks 6 days, which is still early for twins. I'd gone in at 2 am the night before with contractions, at which time they gave me medicine to stop the babies from coming. Then at 2 am again the water broke along with a placental abruption, causing their birth to be inevitable. When they came Ethan, the first baby, was having trouble breathing, but was doing pretty good. Spencer, the second baby, however was not doing so well. They had to breath for him for the first two minutes, and then they put him on oxygen. The oxygen wasn't really helping enough, so they intibated him and arranged for him to be taken to a near-by NICU. When the transport team arrived, they discovered that Spencer had what's called a TEF or EA, which is where his espoghagus didn't reach his stomach. The team decided at that time to take him to Primary Children's hospital instead for a specail surgery. We are grateful that these special doctors discovered the problem pretty early, and that there is a wonderful children's hospital here that specializes in things like this. Spencer is still in the hospital recovering, but he seems to be doing well. The first week was rough because Ethan was in one hospital and Spencer was in another. Ethan is home now, and doing well even though he is still hooked to an oxygen machine. Here are a few pictures of their first few days of life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I am so glad things are getting a little better, hope your baby can come home soon. So glad you are near family
Congratulations Kim! They look super cute and I have no idea how hard it is or how you are surviving but I do know if anyone can do it you can. You have always been amazing to me and always will be. Good luck, and I hope you are at least getting a little sleep!!! :)
I love the pictures of Ethan and Spencer. Poor little Spencer hooked up to all those machines, but thank goodness for modern medicine and inventions. I can't believe Evan is already home with you. Yeah!
Hopefully you got my phone message yesterday. Please let me know how I can be of most help. Can I watch Parker and Carter for you?
I can't imagine what you've been going through these past three weeks. You're in my prayers.
Kim,
Beautiful boys with great names. Congrats and all that. I hope Spencer is able to come home soon.
Kath
Thanks for posting Kim! You are in our prayers. They are such sweet boys. They look like they definately fit in your family. Tell all the kids hi for us.
Post a Comment