Monday, June 23, 2008

The coupon craze.

Well, I've joined the coupon craze my friend Wendy, and my sister-in-law Wendy introduced me to. There are a lot of great deals out there, and it can be very addictive searching them out. It's almost like you are on a secret mission to find the best deal that no one else knows about. This of course had been taking up my time so my blogging has been lacking. Anyway, I can only spend so much time on the computer so I had to split the time with the new hobby as well. I am enjoying the couponing, but I am finding that I'm not the only one on the secret mission. A few times I've gotten to the store and all of the deals are already gone :( In fact, my first experience with doing the CVS deals was a pretty funny one. Jeff and I were on a date, and since the movie we were going to see was sold out we went to CVS. (there's not a lot to do in Topeka) Well, I'd been so excited to get these great deals, that Jeff busted up laughing as each of the deals we went to get were already gone. Not such a secret I guess. There were a few boxes of the cereal on sale left on the shelf, so we grabbed what we could and went to check out. Well, the cashier was a young kid who didn't really know what he was doing, so when I saw that not all of the things I got were working for the deals and I wanted to return them things got a little stressful. He had to return a few items, and then the register froze up, all while the line grew behind me. Jeff was a bit embarrased, but I was on a mission to get my deals and we were not in a hurry to get anywhere since we didn't want to go home until the babysitter got the kids to bed. It all got resolved and Jeff and I had a great laugh about it afterwards. I ended up spending $18, getting 8 boxes of Smart Start cereal (good usually expensive cereal) and getting $10 back in EVB's which are like cash you can use in the store later. It was a good deal and a fun memory. After CVS we went to play frisbee and the local elementary school and then to Baskin Robbins where we used birthday gift certificates from work that Jeff has collected over the years. It was fun.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Hi Kim! I so totally relate. Justin would like to crawl under a walk when he's with me and I whip out my huge coupon organizers.

It's a bummer when so many of the good deals are gone already. Glad you're having fun with coupons too!

Mom B said...

Carl smiles when I bring out my reataurant coupons but yesterday I saved $10.00 at Roosters and he was impressed. I'm proud of you for doing it. I did it in a big way when the kids were home and it was almost a full-time job.

grandma blair said...

I remember my coupon day's, one time I bought some laundry detergent, you had to get a coupon off of the box to be able to get another one for free, so I had a container out in the car and emptied the boxes and would go in and get more. I think I filled a 5 gallon bucket for free.
One of the tricks is to go really early before all of the good deals are gone. You are a trooper to use coupons. see if you have a shopping smart page on your internet, they have all kinds of deals. I don't know if it is just a Utah thing or not. Good luck.

Josh n' Joni said...

My mom was a big coupon-er, and I've seen how much it has saved her over the years. I would like to be, but the newspaper costs too much to take here because I live in the middle of nowhere, so I haven't followed in her footsteps as well as I should. Good on ya for sticking with it - and I loved how you went to CVS for your date - there isn't much to do in Topeka! ha!